One of the most stunning things about recovery is the similarities between your story of addiction and that of the next addict. Heroin addiction, especially, seems to provide its captives with a gut wrenching path from which few escape. Though the details—location, names, amounts, dates—change with each story, one thread remains the same: heroin addiction is deadly. The only hope is heroin rehab.
1. Dead Heroin Addict’s Video Diaries to be Aired in Sky1 Documentary – This one is at The Guardian (United Kingdom) and it’s a bit exploitative, I think, and it’s a heartbreaker so be forewarned.
2. Snellville Woman’s Tale of Heroin Addiction – Here, a woman from Snellville tells the story of a local woman struggling with heroin addiction on her blog, My Snellville Blog.
3. Heroin Tightens Its Grip – From Creative Loafing Atlanta out of Atlanta, GA, this is a broader article that talks more about Sarah, the woman profiled at My Snellville Blog.
4. I Kicked My Habit After Heroin Addiction Killed My Twin…Now I’m Going to Be a Dad – Exactly what it sounds like, this is a personal story of recovery out of the UK after loss due to heroin addiction.
5. Heroin Took Life of Bright Teen From Mukilteo – A sad story, this one is about the loss of Everett, Washington teen, Sean Gahagan, to heroin abuse.
6. Speaker Tells Students About Daughter’s Drug Related Death – Out of Greencastle, Indiana, a story of teenage death caused by drug abuse. Her father speaks out to help educate students in hopes of keeping them form the same fate.
7. How HIV Changed Ex-Addict’s Life – A story of recovery in the Middle East, this one highlights what it was that helped one heroin addict take the leap and break his addiction to heroin for good.
8.The Teenage Face of Heroin Abuse: Sean O’Conner, 19 – U.S. News and World Report tells the story of one teen who stopped in time.
By Wendy Lee Nentwig