Have you ever felt like your whole life was coming apart?
It’s one thing after another. Fights with the people you love, another lost job, more shame that you can’t find the strength to stop using alcohol and drugs. Just one more pill. One more drink. You forget to eat, you oversleep and party at all hours of the night. The police impound your car for too many tickets. Your spouse doesn’t want to see you, and won’t let you see the kids. It seems like everyone is out to get you, and you’re all alone. One more pill, one more drink. And it all starts over again.
Your experience isn’t rare. According to U.S Health officials, nearly 10 percent of Americans ages 12 and over used illicit drugs in 2013.1 But you don’t have continue the constant cycle of drug use and abuse.
At Skywood, many people come to us lost in the fog of alcohol and drug abuse. Over half also struggle with mental health conditions that leave them feeling out of control. Through effective treatment and rehabilitation, a large percentage of those people are able to manage their mental health condition and live healthy lives free from the control of a substance.
Skywood is part of Foundations Recovery Network (FRN), a nationwide residential and outpatient treatment organization.2 Since 1995, Skywood has been helping people recover from addiction and mental health conditions through research-based methods that offer real results. We believe that every person can recover, and we’re ready to show you exactly how it’s done.
The Skywood Experience
If you or a loved one are considering going to treatment, it’s important to get a sense of what programs are available and what they offer. Any facility can have a pool or a gym, but will you really feel better? Is happiness possible?
Healing happens over time — and it often comes through subtle changes and important breakthroughs. Experienced recovery professionals will tell you to “trust the process,” because recovery happens like a flower blooming. One day you’re staring at a green bud and the next day you’re surprised by a gorgeous explosion of petals. All you can do in the meantime is put great soil around the flower, water it diligently and give it fresh air and sunshine. Like that flower, our programs are designed to give you the tools you need to begin a new life.
How We Help Your Recovery Happen
Addiction touches every area of life.3 Our program is designed to promote you or your loved one’s physical, emotional, mental and spiritual healing through the following:
- Our assessment is “bio-psycho-social,” meaning it covers the context of your health, relationships and history. We develop a comprehensive evaluation of your status and conditions to form a treatment plan tailored to your specific needs.
- It’s important to stabilize your health after you stop using alcohol and drugs. Our medical staff will help you detoxify from substances and alleviate your symptoms as necessary while your body readjusts. During the course of treatment, you’ll eat healthy meals, and learn about nutrition and wellness. Activities include walks and adventure therapy on our woodland campus. We also have a low and high ropes course, and the opportunity to experience the reflective, healing process of working with horses through equine therapy.
- Manage mental health. At Skywood you’ll learn about your diagnosis. We will help you understand your symptoms and how you can maintain a healthy mental balance. We use Dialectical Behavior Therapy and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy to help you sort through conflicting, damaging or unhealthy thoughts.
- Manage emotional health. Resolving grief, loss, anger and trauma can be very significant to your recovery from substances. You’ll be able to process with peers in group sessions, but you’ll also have one-on-one time with a therapist to solve deeper issues. You’ll learn important life skills, like managing conflict and having healthy relationships, will propel your recovery when you leave treatment. You can express yourself through creative arts and also experience healing with your loved ones through our family program.
- Discover (or rediscover) spirituality. We encourage each person to pursue spirituality at the level he or she determines. Getting in touch with who you are as a person and your purpose in life, as well as any higher meaning, has been instrumental to many in recovery from addiction. We’ll teach you the practices of yoga and meditation, and provide access to 12-Step meetings and other peer support groups.
- Make friends. Our caring staff is here to encourage you along the way and will be your number one fans. Your peers in treatment will be overcoming the same obstacles, and you may find some kindred spirits as you embark on your recovery journey.
A Different Experience
It may surprise you how getting out of your normal environment can change the way you think and feel. The crisp Michigan air, the waving grass, the chirping crickets and rustling trees will make your experience at Skywood stand out. You will have space and solitude to think about your life, and you’ll have time to change your habits for the better. Once you complete your stay in treatment, you will return to everyday life with the support, excitement and motivation of our Life Challenge program (also known as The L+C). Life Challenge gives you the insight and encouragement to make healthy choices and good decisions. Our program acknowledges that life is hard, but you are strong enough to face it.
All You Have to Do Is Ask
If you want to know more about Skywood, call us now. Our admissions coordinators will walk you through the admissions process and answer your questions. Today is the day that your life can change for the better. Call, email or chat with us to find out more.
1 HealthDay. “Ten percent of Americans admit illegal drug use.” CBS News. CBS Interactive, 04 Sept. 2014. Web. 02 June 2017.